Selling a home is a journey that is just as important as buying real estate. The process can be an emotional one whether you are letting go of a well-loved family home full of happy memories or a place where you spent a part of your life. And as symbolisms go, selling a home is akin to closing a chapter and starting a new one.
This is why ample preparation is always recommended when you are selling a home in California and just about anywhere else. Use this page as a base guide to help you navigate the intricacies of selling your home. We will point you in the right direction, from figuring out when is the best time to sell a house to last-minute things to do before you show your home to prospective buyers.
Stage 1: Preparations
The key to a successful home selling experience is preparedness in three aspects: mentally, emotionally, and financially. If you are not in the best frame of mind to handle a potentially long process, you might find yourself unable to see the transaction through. Selling a home also takes resources as you will need to spend on repairs, improvements, as well as the service of your real estate agent.
Before you list your home on the market:
- Finalize your decision. Determine if this is what you want to do as well as your motivation. It will shape the entire selling process. Some sellers are on a deadline so they are in a haste to sell their homes fast, while others are willing to play the long game.
- Examine your finances. Make sure you are financially capable to handle selling expenses such as repairs, upgrades, and contractual work. If you have yet to pay off your mortgage, assess if your home is more or less than your remaining balance.
- Find a real estate agent. Work with a local real estate with a proven track record in selling homes in your neighborhood or area. Contact us to learn what we can do for you.
- Prepare your home. Make your property fit for selling. Deep-clean, declutter, and repair where needed. If you wish to boost your home’s price, do improvements that offer the best value or return on your investment. Finally, stage your home to sell.
Stage 2: Pricing, selling, and accepting offers
This is the most exciting part of the home selling process. Each decision you make in this stage will determine the fate of your transaction.
- Set the right price. This is a delicate art that can either attract or deter enthusiastic buyers from making an offer on your home. One of the best ways to get the right price is through a comparative market analysis (CMA). Ask for one from your real estate agent.
- Market your home. These days, most home buyers start their search online. Make your online listing competitive and engaging by providing high-quality photographs, compelling write-ups, and if possible, virtual home tours. Highlight the community and the local lifestyle as well.
- Be a flexible seller. Do not accept the first or the highest offer that comes your way. Carefully assess each offer and leave room for negotiations. Double-check if there are any special conditions or contingencies.
Stage 3: Closing
Once an offer has been accepted and the sales agreement signed, you enter the final stage of the home selling process. In this part of the journey, you will be fulfilling any conditions and special contingencies you agreed to. These typically include home inspections and For their part, the buyer will try to keep the end of their bargain.
A closing date will be set. This usually takes place anywhere between 30 to 60 days after the sales agreement was signed. On this closing day, both parties will review the relevant paperwork and check if all contingencies and special conditions were met. If so, you will hand over the title and the keys to the home. The selling process is complete.
Let us join you in your home selling journey
The Manel Sousou Team can be your guiding light as you embark on your home selling journey in Dublin, CA. Find out how we can help you and when you are ready to get started, connect with our team. You can call us at 925.413.4511, send us an email at manel(at)sousouteam(dotted)com, or fill up this form here and we will get in touch with you shortly.